Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) Representations - How we use your personal information

We take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons the law requires or allows.

The Council is the data controller for the personal information we hold about you regarding Supplementary Planning Documents representations.

The purposes for which your data will be used

To enable the processing of planning and associated applications and any subsequent appeals.

Planning laws set out the requirements for consultation in relation to  Supplementary Planning Document representations as defined by the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. Consultation also has to be undertaken in line with the Council’s Statement of Community Involvement (SCI). SPDs elaborate existing policy providing further guidance and detail on a range of topics at the local level.
Representations received are used to shape the detail of the SPD.

Our lawful basis for carrying out these tasks

We are able to do this because we have your consent to do so, legislation says we must do it and that it is in the public interest to do so. There are several pieces of legislation that apply to the processing of planning and associated applications. The main rules that set out how to process these applications are contained in:

Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004, Localism Act 2011, Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.

With whom will we share your information

Data will not be passed on beyond Stafford Borough Council.

How long we will keep your information

We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law.

Your rights

Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section on Data Protection - Privacy Notices.

For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by us then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above.  If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council via Complaints.

Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at

You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting Data Protection - Privacy Notices.



Tel: 01785 619337

How Do You Rate This Page?

A to Z of Services