Environmental Crime - How we use your personal information

We take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows. The Council is the data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to the processing of Fixed Penalty Notices, Abandoned/Nuisance Vehicles, Fly Posting/Dog Fouling, Fly Tipping and Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO’s). In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.

The purposes for which your data will be used by an Authorised Officer:

  1. To process and issue a Fixed Penalty Notice
  2. To establish your identity and date of birth
  3. To trace your current address

The legal basis for the processing is necessary for the compliance with our legal obligation.

The following legal bases are used:

  • Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978
  • Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
  • Control of substances hazardous to Health Regulations 1999
  • Asbestos Regulations
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003
  • Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014

We may share your information with the following in order to ensure public safety, protect public funds and to assist with the prevention and detection of crime:

  • Other Government agencies and Local Authorities, Council departments and Enforcement agencies, when required and is necessary
  • Our legal department for consideration of prosecution proceedings

You also need to be aware that your name, address and offence details may be publicised if you are prosecuted for one of these offences.

Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, or if the law requires or allows us to.

We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law. 

For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on dpo@staffordbc.gov.uk or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford, ST16 3AQ.

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by us then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council.

Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at ico.org.uk.

You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting www.staffordbc.gov.uk/PrivacyNotice.


Tel: 01785 619000

How Do You Rate This Page?

A to Z of Services