Democratic, Member Services and Mayoralty - How we use your personal information

We take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows. The Council is the data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to Elected Members’, Parish Councils, the Mayoralty, Civic Functions and Complaints to the Council.

In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.

The purposes for which your data will be used are:

  1. Publishing details of Elected Members.
  2. Publishing Declarations of Interest of Elected Members.
  3. Administration of functions of Elected Members including allowances and attendance of committees and meetings.
  4. Administration of Elected Members’ correspondence.
  5. Processing of invitations to Mayoral and Civic Functions.
  6. Responding to Complaints.

We are able to do this because legislation says we must do it and that it is in the public interest to do so. The main rules are contained in:

  • Local Government Act 1972 and 2000.
  • Localism Act 2011.

This list is not intended to be exhaustive.

We may share your information with:

  • Other councils or organisations.
  • Cannock District Council as part of a shared service agreement.

Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, or if the law requires or allows us to.

We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law. 

Your personal data is processed (including storage) within the European Economic Area only.

Data Protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

Further information

For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on email or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by us then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above.  If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council.

Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at

Details of how we handle your personal information.

For any general enquiries you can contact the council by phone on 01785 619000 via email or by writing to us at Stafford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.



Tel: 01785 619212

How Do You Rate This Page?

A to Z of Services