Permitted Development Rights

Permitted Development Rights are also known as 'permitted development' (PD) as set out in The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) England) Order 2015.  This covers works that do not require planning permission.

Householder Permitted Development

From 30 May 2013, householders are able to build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development. The Planning Portal ( has more information or you can call us on 01785 619 337 for advice.

Change of Use and Permitted Development

For information on changes of use and the need for planning permission, please visit the Planning Portal.

Permitted Development and Conservation Areas

Permitted Development rights are generally more restrictive for places within Conservation Areas and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Cannock Chase, for example).

Barn Conversions - Removal of Permitted Development Rights 

When planning approval is given for barn conversions, permitted development rights are usually removed. This happens even if the barn is not in a Conservation Area.

This means that for work that would normally be permitted development, you will have to make an application for planning permission by filling out a form and providing details of the work that you want to carry out.

Planning Permission - Confirmation in Writing

If you want something in writing that confirms whether or not planning permission is required, you will need to make a Certificate of Lawfulness application.

You will need to complete a form, one is for developments that have already been done, the other is for proposed developments.

You will also have to pay a fee ( which is worked out as half of the amount you would pay if you were applying for planning permission.

Article 4 Directions

If your property is within a Conservation Area and covered by an Article 4 Direction, permitted development rights will have been removed completely. Restrictions include things like painting existing unpainted walls, removal of chimney stacks, removal of timber walls and windows. As with listed buildings, like for like repairs are usually permitted.

Currently, we have Article 4 Directions in Stone, Eccleshall and Burton Manor Village.

Article 3 Directions

Article 3 Directions may involve greater planning restrictions such as enclosing gardens within open-plan housing estates and creating new access points on classified/trunk roads. It may also be in the form of a planning condition that are given as part of planning permission.  Things like restricting enclosure of open-plan gardens can be covered by other non-planning legislation such as 'covenants'.

It is advisable that you check conditions and directions by requesting an Authority Search carried out by the Local Land Charges Section. A fee is payable for this service.

Where to get more information

The Planning Portal website holds lots of information, including an interactive house that you can explore for guidance on many common householder projects.

A to Z of Services