This page gives details of all the different types of licences that are needed for either business or personal use, and how they may be obtained. It also highlights certain activities that do not need licences.
If you have any concerns about the behaviour or activity of a licensed retailer or operator please contact email@example.com or telephone 01785 619745.
The Council is the licensing authority for the administration and enforcement of the Licensing Act 2003 and associated orders and regulations within its area. The Act regulates:-
- the sale of alcohol
- the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club
- the provision of regulated entertainment
- the provision of late night refreshment
The Act requires that the Licensing Authority prepares and publishes a statement of its licensing policy every five years. Before determining its policy for any five-year period, the Authority is required to undertake a public consultation exercise on the proposed policy.
Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licences
Since the Covid-19 pandemic, the Licensing Team have changed the way they work, whilst still maintaining the service for all customers.
The Council, as a whole, has adopted a hybrid working model, which means that the office will be manned as and when the staff attend, to fit in with business needs. This means that any contact required physically with the Licensing staff is on an appointment only basis. If you have arranged an appointment with one of the Team, you must be on time, otherwise you won't be seen and a further appointment will have to be made, which could delay the processing of any of your applications.
The Team are still experiencing drivers ‘dropping in’ and expecting to be seen, no ‘drop-ins’ will be seen.
Due to the remodelling of the reception area, there are limited staff available to speak to however if you require help with copying/scanning documents this can be arranged.
- Comments, Compliments and Complaints
- Executive Hire Vehicle Licence
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- NR3 (National Register of Taxi Licence Revocations and Refusals) Policy (pdf 186kb)
- Other Taxi Licensing
- Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Driver's Licence
- Private Hire Operator's Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- Taxi Forums
- Taxi Licensing Fees
- Taxi Policy and Licensing Conditions 2021 (pdf 616kb)
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Unlicensed taxi or private hire vehicles are not only illegal - they could be dangerous
An unlicensed taxi will not have been examined by Stafford Borough Council for safety and roadworthiness. It might not even have a current MOT or insurance.
Entertainment and Gambling Licences
- Alcohol and Entertainment (covers cinemas, theatres, public entertainment, alcohol, night cafes and late night refreshment houses)
- Amusements with Prizes
- Fireworks - See trading standards
- Gambling Act 2005
- Sex Establishment
- Acupuncturist, Ear piercing, Electrolysis and Tattooists
- House to House and Street Collections
- Scrap Metal
- Street Trading
Everything we do not licence.
- Animal Movement
- Chaperone Licences
- Door Supervisors
- Education Welfare Section of the County Council's website for more information on Stage Licences for School Age Children.
- Explosives/Fireworks (Storage and Sale) - See Trading Standards
- Game Dealing - Licence not required
- Hairdresser - Licence not required
- Massage and Special Treatment - Licence not required
- Petroleum - See Trading Standards
- Second Hand Goods - See Trading Standards
- Self-Drive Boats
- Street Cafe - Licence not required - see Food Business
- Sunday trading
More information about Staffordshire Highways and any related licensing or legal issues may be found in the Transport and Highways section of the Staffordshire County Council website.
For information regarding Safety Advisory Groups, please see our Safety Advisory Group Terms of Reference under Related Documents
If the information you require is not here, it may be obtained from the Staffordshire County Council website or on 0300 111 8000.
The Licensing Register can be found at www.ehlicensing.staffordbc.gov.uk.