Contact Us

To speak to an advisor please call 01785 619478

Open times:

  • Monday - Thursday 8.30am to 5pm
  • Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Visit the Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ

Phones and computers are available to use for Council Services.

Documents and letters can be posted into the letter box located at the Civic Centre. 

Contact us using the online self-service

Who can claim Housing Benefit?

If you pay rent to a landlord you should apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are of State Pension age or live in temporary or supported accommodation.

Housing Benefit entitlement will normally start from the Monday following your date of first contact with a designated authority (Local Council, Department for Works and Pensions).

Who can claim Local Council Tax Reduction?

Anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax can apply for a Local Council Tax Reduction, even if you receive a discount on your Council Tax (you live alone), if you work and have a low income you can also apply.

In some cases, even though you have a liability to pay Council Tax you would not be entitled to a Local Council Tax Reduction. For example when someone

  • Has income which is too high to qualify
  • Is of working age and has capital or savings in excess of £6000 (pensionable age level is £16000)

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Online Self-Service

The Benefit Forms page provides instant online access to apply for Housing Benefit, Local Council Tax Support or to report changes in circumstances.

What you can do using Self-Service:

  • Access the online Benefit Calculator to work out entitlement
  • Apply for Council Tax Reduction/Housing Benefit
  • Report a change in circumstance
  • Apply for a Discretionary Housing or Hardship payment
  • Appeal a benefit decision
  • Submit evidence/information/documents
  • Find our when you will reach state pension age
  • Make a payment

A to Z of Services