Council Tax

Contact The TeamRequest Your Bill By EmailHow to pay your Bill

Online Self Service

Online self service gives you or your appointee instant online access to provide information and to apply for exemptions and discounts at a time convenient to you without the need to visit us, ring us or write to us.

What you can do using self Service:

•    Tell us you're moving into the area
•    Tell us you're moving out of the area
•    Tell us you're moving within the area
•    Apply for a Single Person Discount
•    Cancel a discount or exemption
•    Notify of a bereavement
•    Register for e-Billing
•    Appeal a Council Tax Penalty

Access Online Self Service

Council Tax is payable on all domestic property.

The level of Council Tax is determined by separate charges levied by Staffordshire County Council, the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire Fire Authority, Stafford Borough Council and Parish Councils. Council Tax is collected on behalf of these bodies by Stafford Borough Council. Your bill advises you how much of the Council Tax is paid to each of these organisations.

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on:

  • The valuation band your property is in
  • The number of people aged 18 or over living in your property
  • Whether a discount or exemption is appropriate
  • Whether you qualify for Council Tax Benefit

When we work out Council Tax we assume that two people, aged 18 or over, live in most properties.

Difficulty in paying

If you're having difficulties making your payments, the first thing you should do is contact the us.

You can either ring the Council Tax Helpline Number 01785 619279, contact us online or visit the Council offices where staff will be pleased to assist you.

We may be able to rearrange your instalments to make them more manageable.  

Need help towards your bill?

Anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax could apply for Local Council Tax Reduction, even if they already get a discount on their Council Tax i.e. they live alone?

If you would like to make an application for Local Council Tax Reduction please go to Online Benefit Forms

How can I reduce my Council Tax bill?

Discounts and Exemptions

The Council Tax bill assumes there are 2 adults (aged 18 or over) living in a dwelling. If you're the only adult living in the property the Council Tax bill is reduced by 25%; this is known as Single Persons Discount.

There are certain groups of residents who can be disregarded altogether when counting the number of adults in the household.

Further information on discounts and exemptions


Some properties may be exempt from Council Tax altogether.

Further information on discounts and exemptions.

Disabled Reduction 

If you, or someone you live with, need an additional room, or additional facilities i.e. an extra bathroom or kitchen, or an extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability you may be entitled to a reduced bill.

Further information on Disabled Persons Reduction

Related Information

How Do You Rate This Page?

A to Z of Services