Business Rates Appeals

Ratepayers have the right of appeal against the rateable value of their property or against liability issues such as who should pay the bill, or whether the bill has been calculated correctly.

If you make an appeal against the rateable value of a property, payments must continue to be made in accordance with your bill until the appeal is settled.  If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Business Rates, with interest if appropriate.

Appeals Against the Rateable Value

The Ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) can appeal against the rateable value shown in the rating list if they believe it is wrong.

The first stage in any appeal is the 'proposal to alter the rating list'. This is the ratepayer's (or other interested person's) written statement to the Valuation Officer about why they think the entry in the rating list is wrong. A 'proposal' may deal with more than one property. The Valuation Office Agency provides forms for proposing an alteration to the List. The forms are available from: The Valuation Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Blackburn House, Old Hall Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent ST1 3BS. Telephone 0845 602 1507. Alternatively an appeal can be made online at

Most appeals are settled by agreement between the Valuation Officer and the ratepayer at the 'proposal' stage. However, if the ratepayer is not satisfied the appeal will go forward to the Valuation Tribunal, which is a tribunal wholly independent of the Valuation Office Agency and the Council.

The effect of successful appeals against values shown in the 2005 Rating List will normally be backdated to the beginning of the financial year in which the appeal was made. Further information about the grounds for making an appeal, and how to make one, can be found on the VOA website at

Appeals Against Liability Issues

You may appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Business Rates, for example:

  • You are not the rateable occupier, or
  • You have been refused a mandatory relief which you believe you should be entitled to, or
  • you believe that Stafford Borough Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on any of these grounds you must notify Stafford Borough Council in writing so that we have an opportunity to reconsider your case. You have a further right of appeal to a valuation Tribunal if you still disagree with the Council's decision.

Initial appeals should be addressed to the Business Rate Section, Civic centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ or telephone 01785 619282.

Business Rates


Tel: 01785 619282
How do you rate this page?