This cemetery was opened in 1856 by Stafford Borough Council on the northern side of Stafford. The first burial to take place was that of George Jennings. He was aged 20 months and the son of a local shoemaker; the funeral took place on 21 February 1856.
The cemetery was built alongside a railway line which ran between Uttoxeter in the east of Staffordshire and the main central line station in Stafford town centre. Railway services were withdrawn at the end of the Second World War as motor vehicle use increased nationwide. However, the railway lines remained in place for many years after the end of the War. In the event of war breaking out again, it was intended to re-open them as a vital link for supplies to and from the vast former RAF base located in Stafford, which is now the home of an Army Signals Regiment.
The Cemetery was designed with two chapel buildings on site. The larger one, a Church of England chapel, and the other smaller one for general use. The chapels were in use up to the 1960’s. In 1964 the cemetery was opened at Stafford Crematorium and services were conducted in the chapel there.
As Eccleshall Road cemetery developed over the years additional land was acquired on the other side of the railway line, the terminology within the service was then introduced “The Old Side” and "The New Side”. Burials continued for many more years until the early 1980’s when all new burials were then transferred to the Tixall Road cemetery.
To bring this valuable public asset back into the community an area within the new side of the cemetery was identified which would accommodate new grave spaces. In 2014 a new system was installed in an area where it was not previously possible to excavate graves safely. The new system consists of pre-formed grave chambers which are buried in the ground forming a solid walled chamber. As with all other conventional graves they are excavated when a burial is requested the big advantage is that the shoring is already in place, this allows for the safe excavation and thus ensuring burials can now continue for many years to come.
Since their introduction in 2014, 14 graves have been used and there are a further 20 graves available. Should you require further information please contact the Bereavement Services Office.