Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions


The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), the Council Tax bill will be reduced by a quarter (25%).

People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults resident in a dwelling:

  • people under 18 years of age
  • full-time students, this includes: student nurses, apprentices and Youth Training trainees
  • patients permanently resident in hospitals and care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • people entitled to diplomatic privileges

If you are the only adult occupier of your property, or you think that a reduction may apply because some of the other occupiers may not be counted in the number of adults in the property please contact us.


Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. If you own or occupy a property that is described below and your bill does not show that an exemption has been granted, please contact the Council for advice.

Unoccupied property exemptions

Exemption Class A - Require or are undergoing major repair or undergoing structural alteration (exemption allowed for up to one year only or 6 months from completion of the works, whichever the sooner)

Exemption Class B - A property owned by a charity (exemption allowed for up to six months only)

Exemption Class C - A property that is unfurnished (exemption allowed for up to six months only)

Exemption Class D - A property left empty by someone who has gone to prison

Exemption Class E & I- A property left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home, or elsewhere

Exemption Class F - A property waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (exemption continues for up to six months after being granted)

Exemption Class G- A property that is empty because it's occupation is forbidden by law

Exemption Class H - A property waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion

Exemption Class J - A property left empty by someone who has moved out to provide personal care to another person

Exemption Class K - A property owned by a student and were last occupied by that student

Exemption Class L - Where the property has been repossessed

Exemption Class Q - Where the property is the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee

Exemption Class R - Sites for an individual caravan or mobile home, or a mooring

Exemption Class T - A property which is difficult to let because they are linked to, or in the grounds of, another property and may not be let separately from that other property without breaching, planning permission. The liable person must, however, live in the other property to qualify.

Occupied property exemptions

Exemption Class M & N - A property occupied entirely by students

Exemption Class O - Property which is forces barracks and married quarters. Their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement

Exemption Class P - Property where at least one liable person is a member of a visiting force

Exemption Class S - Property where all the residents are less than 18 years of age 

Exemption Class U - Property where all the residents are severely mentally impaired

Exemption Class V - Property where at least one liable person is a foreign diplomat

Exemption Class W - Property that is annexed to a family home and occupied by that family's elderly or disabled relatives

These categories are only broad descriptions of the available exemptions. If you believe an exemption should apply to your bill, please contact the Council for advice.

Please remember, while you are waiting for the outcome of an application for a discount or exemption, you must continue to pay your current bill. If this causes any problem, please contact us immediately.

Exemptions are reviewed at least once each year. We may ask you to provide information that helps us to do this. Failing to supply this information could mean any entitlement is cancelled.

It is a very serious offence to claim or to accept a discount on your bill to which you are not entitled. You are required by law to notify the Council Tax Section within 21 days if you are no longer entitled to receive a discount. Failure to do so can result in a penalty of £50 being issued.

Tel: 01785 619279
Fax: 01785 619219
How do you rate this page?